Celebrating its 18th year, Western North Carolina Community Health Services presents Fiesta Latina Asheville returning this Saturday, October 10 for a full day of music, traditional dance performances, food and more, all downtown at the Roger McGuire Green in Pack Square Park.
More than 5000 people are expected to stop by the festivities that start at noon and go until 7pm. Why not be one of them?? This is one of Asheville's largest cultural events pretty much guaranteeing you will leave having experienced at least one thing you never have before.
Still need some more reasons? Here ya go:
1. It's FREE! - Roll in alone, with your family, or a posse of friends without worrying about ticket cost. You'll get to spend time outside in the heart of downtown taking in a unique blend of sights, sounds, and flavors.
2. La Musica - No Latin gathering is complete without music, and Fiesta Latina goes big. The lineup includes Asheville-based Salsa/Merengue/Afro-Cuban band Sol Rhythms (who you may have caught recently at LEAF Downtown), Sombras de Mexico playing traditional Mariachi, regional Mexican band Tecno Caliente, and local favorite Montuno. If none of them get you moving – even with just a little toe tap – you might want to check your pulse.
3. Dance, Dance, Dance - Every year, the dancing is another favorite for festival goers. Throughout the day, dancers of all ages in traditional, beautifully kaleidescopic costumes perform traditional folk pieces from acorss Latin America and Spain. Tlaxochimaco, performing time-honored Aztec pieces, return to wow the crowds. Maybe you can learn a move or two.
4. Food - The festival might be free, but you will no doubt want to come ready to happily fork over some money on food. From Tacos to Cuban Sandwiches, the most popular section to the festival will have a wide variety of amazing Latin American food, so come hungry.
5. Niñoville - First of all, how cute is the name "Niñoville"? This section of the festival is – you guessed it – for the little ones, and will have face painting, hourly raffles, special guests and more.
¡Nos vemos allí!
(We'll see you there!)